The Chris Voss Best Paper Award, established in 2002, is granted to the best paper presented at the conference. Since 2004, the award has been supported by Emerald Group Publishing, publisher of the International Journal of Operations & Production Management. Papers will be judged on their contribution towards the advancement of theory and practice of Operations Management. The winner of the best conference paper will receive a framed certificate and three months’ access to an Emerald journal of their choice; up to two runners-up will receive framed certificates. All prizes will be announced and handed over during the closing session of the conference, during the Awards Presentation.
Papers eligible for the award
The authors are asked to decide whether or not their paper is suitable for consideration for the Chris Voss Best Paper Award. Papers to be considered for the best paper award should be signalled by the authors at the time of submission of the full paper. The submission software should present this option clearly (e.g. having a box to tick). The following is an example of the wording used in the call for papers to present the award:
“Each year EurOMA, sponsored by Emerald, grants ‘Chris Voss Best Paper Award’ for the best paper presented at the conference. To be considered for the award, the author(s) will be asked to indicate upon submission of the full paper if the paper needs to be considered for the award”.
This paper is eligible for Chris Voss Best Paper Award – it is a full paper, not an extended abstract or work in progress – I am happy for it to be considered for the award
Selection process and decision
Papers eligible for the award are available to the Conference Organizers by the deadline for full papers submission. The Selection Committee Chair, after initial screening, should send papers out for review to the Selection Committee. A short list will be developed for the award. The Selection Committee will meet at the conference for a final review and discussion to select the winning paper. One best paper and up to two runners up may be mentioned.
The process to arrive to the short list should be defined by the Selection Committee Chair depending on the number of papers asking for evaluation.
The selection criteria are:
- Empirical and/or theoretical problem, relevant for the OM field, based on empirical and/or theoretical background and including a critical appreciation of existing work in the area
- Paper structure:
- Methodological discussion linking the problem(s) to data collection, analysis and synthesis
- Theoretical framework for the study
- Empirical data
- Conclusions (contribution related to theory and/or managerial implications)
- Significance and originality: importance of results for research and practice, originality of results (new contribution to theory/practice
- Scientific quality: is the paper technically correct?
- Clarity of problem and results presentation (format, language, style)