The Harry Boer Best Student Paper Award, established in 2009, is granted to the best paper presented at the conference authored by a PhD student. The award is supported by Emerald Group Publishing, publisher of the International Journal of Operations & Production Management. Papers will be judged on their contribution towards the advancement of theory and practice of Operations Management. The winner of the best student paper will receive GBP250 and a framed certificate; up to two runners-up will receive framed certificates. All prizes will be announced and handed over during the closing session of the conference, during the Awards Presentation. In addition, the winner will be awarded one complimentary conference registration voucher for the following year for the main author, sponsored by EurOMA.
Below are the conditions for eligibility (all are mandatory):
- Entrants must have been PhD-candidates on or after 1 July of the year before the conference. Only one entry can be submitted by an entrant.
- The submitted paper must present original research conducted primarily by the entrant. Some assistance by other individuals such as the student’s faculty advisor is permitted as long as the student is the real “first author”. This must be reflected in the advisor’s letter.
- The research must have been conducted while the entrant was a student.
- The topic of the paper should fall within the scope of Operations Management. A list of topics can be found on the EurOMA conference website.
- The paper should be submitted to the conference in the requested format. The conference organizers will forward the submitted papers to an award committee.
- The paper should not be signalled for consideration for the Chris Voss Best Paper Award.
- The student should be willing to present the paper submitted in a special session, if invited / if being one of the three best. The student should also be willing and plan to attend the awards ceremony (usually held during the closing session of the conference).
A complete entry includes.
- A cover document in PDF with the entrant’s name, current (and if different affiliation during the PhD program), address, e-mail address, the name and e-mail of the entrant’s advisor. The file name should be the entrant’s full name.
- The paper in PDF as submitted to the conference. Extended abstracts, works in progress or papers presented to the Doctoral Seminar of EurOMA the same year do not qualify.
- A letter in PDF from the advisor, including the candidate’s name, title of the paper, and a statement that makes clear that the eligibility requirements have been met. In particular, it must be clear that the research is primarily the student’s, with minimum assistance from other individuals.
The above material should be e-mailed to the Conference Chairs with the subject heading “EurOMA 20XX – Harry Boer Best Student Paper Award”.
Deadline for submissions: same date as the Full Paper submission.
Harry Boer Best Paper Award Committee
- Harry Boer (Chair)
- One board member from Education & Meetings Team
- one Editor of IJOPM
- one local organizer